This Thematic Collections Network (TCN), affiliated with Integrated Digitized Biocollections (iDigBio) will digitize 1.6 million specimen records, photograph 82,000+ specimens and georeference 35,000+ localities.
We will also produce:
- Stratigraphic dictionaries for the eastern Pacific.
- A compilation of eastern Pacific collecting localities showing equivalence across different museums.
- Updated taxonomic authorities for eastern Pacific fossils
- Video footage, Gigamacro image sets, and 3-D models as part of Virtual Field Experiences. These will be linked in Google maps with web-mobilized specimen data.
These data are crucial to understanding how marine ecosystems responded to:
- The Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM)
- Greenhouse-icehouse climatic transition at the Eocene-Oligocene boundary
- Contraction of the tropics beginning after the mid-Miocene climatic optimum
- Expansion of the East Antarctic ice-sheet about 12 million years ago
- Onset of Northern Hemisphere glaciation about 3 million years ago
- Transition to the modern icehouse climate approximately 2.5 million years ago
- Opening of the Bering Strait, closing of the Panama Seaway, dynamics of ice cover in the Arctic Ocean, and the shift to global warming during the last interglacial ~120,000 years ago